Tuesday, November 25, 2008

War Vegetables!

All my friends who are currently so lucky as to have gardens or who, like me, pine wistfully for the day they will be so lucky, might enjoy a peek at the book War Vegetable Gardening, published in 1918 by the US War Garden Commission and e-published on Google Books. I'm still working on a post explaining why the push to "buy local" according to the "food miles" concept is mostly bunk, and in most circumstances produces results counter to its stated goals. That aside, however, growing food for yourself and your family is undoubtedly a Good Thing for various environmental, political, social, and health reasons, and this book is certainly a classy (and classic) background. The admonishments about seed shortages and rationing are also needed reminders of how easy we have it.

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

I'll be waiting for your post on "buying local."

I'm all for supporting the local economy and local farming. Food that travels less tastes better too, usually, because it's often fresher.

I'd just like to make the decision myself instead of being told that I *must* do it.