Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wal-Mart

I really like Wal-Mart. I can't stand the way they lay out the grocery section in Super Wal-Marts, but beyond that, I can generally find whatever I need pretty quickly and cheaply. I appreciate that the "Wal-Mart effect" has lowered retail prices of consumer goods across the economy, saving the average US family around $2,300 annually (.pdf warning), whether they shop there or not. I find it remarkable that despite building their empire on tight supply chains and centralized logistic they have managed to become the nation's #1 retailer of locally-grown produce. At the same time, I can appreciate that some people prefer not to shop there. Everyone has preferences, and it's really not my concern. I do get a bit tired of hearing how Wal-Mart is destroying America, however, particularly in light of significant evidence to the contrary. (HT: Round Unvarnish'd Tale).

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

My primary objection to Walmart is that they're ugly. The other is that I cannot escape one without feeling like I've been beat soundly with a stick, but that's probably my latent autistic tendencies and sensitivities reacting to the lighting and noise level. Newer ones that have multitudinous skylights are better.

But hey, sometimes, I've gotta get groceries AND paint AND cat litter and I don't want to make three stops, so I use Walmart; I'm glad it's available.