Thursday, February 5, 2009

Talk Amongst Yourselves, I'll Give You A Topic: Funistrada

What amazes me most about the strange story of funistrada, the only food known solely for the fact that it doesn't actually exist, is that nobody has yet created a dish to fit the name.  I mean, we should be able to pull this off, right?  The -strada makes me think "strata" as in layers.  How about an Italianate vision of moussaka, layers of winter squash and panchetta baked in a casserole under a creamy blanket of bechamel?  Game on, folks, what does funistrada sound like to you?

6 comments:

Elephantschild said...

It's funis, breaded with herbed bread crumbs and egg, sprinkled with cheese, then broiled. It's often served with hollandaise sauce.

Bruce Gee said...

Nothing quite so fancy. I'm sorry to say, but funistrada is slang for hard bread and dried cheese, washed down with cheap red wine, consumed while riding in a trailer pulled by a strange, dark man riding a motorcycle, somewhere in, I dunno, Bulgaria.

In black and white.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It was that stuff we were loathe to try at church basement pot-lucks. You know, direct from the conspiracy of old ladies who pawned off their vegetable leftovers and lumps of indeterminate protein congealed in creamy chicken mushroom soup. They thought they'd disguise it by giving it the joyous name of funistrada.
Aahhh, thanks for the memories.

Deirdre
P.S. I am a friend of Elephantschild. Not like I've ever met her in person or anything, just connecting through blogs and such.

Elephantschild said...

I'll vouch for Deirdre, one of those extremely funny people who should be commenting more!

I think I threw up a little in my mouth, Deirdre.

Kristina said...

Again I would like to merely point out: it has the word "fun" in it. Anything with the word "fun" must involve sprinkles. That's all I'm saying.