Monday, February 25, 2008

Fasinjoon

I've been carrying around this recipe for months. I got it from one of my Iraqi teachers all the way back in Texas, but recipes don't exactly fit all that neatly into my organizational scheme, so it's just sort of been floating from folder to folder. So, here I post it for posterity. Also so you can make it and marvel at the deliciousness of Iraqi/Persian cuisine.

Fasinjoon:

2+ lbs. chicken pieces
1 large onion
1/2 bottle (2 dl) Dibis Rumman
(pomegranate molasses, available at Middle Eastern groceries or online)
1 lb crushed walnuts
2 tsp black pepper
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar

Boil chicken with salt and onions until done in enough water to cover. Add all other ingredients to broth and simmer for at least 1/2 hour. Serve over rice. Refrigerates/freezes well.

For American palates, it might be best to start with less of the pepper and sugar, then adjust to taste. Enjoy!

No comments: